Contact Outpost Amsterdam

Please contact us at if you have any questions or queries regarding our services.


Register with the GBA (Gemeentelijkebasisadministratie) within five days of arrival,and then make an appointment with the IND (Immigratie en Naturalisatiedienst) for a residence permit (verblijsvergunning) if applicable. Make sure you have all your paperwork and extra copies on hand. Bring an interesting book to read while in the waiting room.

BSN Number

You need to have contacted the GBA beforehand in order to receive a burgerservicenummer (BSN), which has replaced the old fiscal SOFI-nummer. Do not forget to make copies of all correspondence and ask for help if you need it!

Bank Account

You will  need the usual paperwork (passport and/or residence permit, proof of address, evidence of income such as employment contract or pay slip plus your new BSN )


Often the most trying part: Telephone basics, sorting out utilities, finding a home, schooling etc may take longer than you expect. You can arrange to come by our office while waiting for an Internet connection or explore an internet café in the city. Occassionally your landlord may have already arranged a hook-up.


Even if you have health insurance from your home country, you’ll need to get Dutch health insurance before getting a residence permit. 

Job Hunt

If you’ve got a work permit (or don’t require one), you’re ready to embark on the full-time job of finding a job. Sign up for agencies specialising in expatriate recruitment or start your search online. Outpost Amsterdam will gladly help you to write a winning CV.

Spreekt u Nederlands?

Although most Dutch people speak English well and Amsterdam can be a difficult city to learn Dutch in, it is important to try your hand at learning this language. The guttural ‘g’ may be a bit off-putting at first, but Outpost Amsterdam has an extensive list of Dutch courses for all abilities and needs.

Outpost Amsterdam

Office hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 09:00 - 14:30
Languages: English, Dutch
Contact >>